- This event has passed.
The Art of Retaining First-Generation Students: Strategies for the Classroom and Beyond
December 6, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm$220
Format: Teleconference Webinar
Registration Due: November 19, 2019
Registration Fee: $220.00
Time: 1-2:30 pm
Date: December 6, 2019
Today, it is recorded that more than a quarter of [all] first-generation students drop out after their first-year college—which is four times the dropout rate of higher-income second-generation students. First-generation students sometimes require special attention to succeed in college, and research has shown that their parents are often unequipped to provide the necessary support. While data is available on the demographics of first-generation students, very few institutions have implemented comprehensive support programs to improve their retention and graduation rates.
This webinar will provide a comprehensive overview of interventions, programs, and practices that lead to first-generation success.
- Challenges and roadblocks for first-generation population
- Defining the first-generation student
- Overview of population demographics
Who should attend?
- Academic Affairs/Instruction
- Career Services/Counselors
- Deans/Department Chairs
- Developmental Educators
- Enrollment Management
- Faculty (full and part-time)
- First-Year Experience Coordinators
- Learning Resource Centers/Tutors
- Retention Specialist
- Student Affairs
- Two and Four Year Higher Institutions