- This event has passed.
Completion: Retaining and Graduating Males of Color in One Year
April 24 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm$220
Format: Teleconference Webinar
Registration Due: April 10, 2020
Registration Fee: $220.00
Time: 1-2:30 pm
Date: April 24, 2020
A significant percentage of male students of color face substantial challenges when entering college. In order to increase the success and persistence of this student population, institutions need to develop and grow strong recruitment and on-campus programs that will give them the support they need to achieve their full potential.
This webinar will highlight the importance of collaborative partnerships between academic and student affairs in the design and implementation of learning communities. The presenter will review the different definitions of learning communities at JV Educational Consultants and at various higher education institutions, as well as explain why collaborative partnerships are essential for their development. The presenter will also describe a successful learning community called QUEST. QUEST is a structured learning community consisting of students taking two or more prescribed classes together and benefiting from active learning via academic coaching, mentoring, and collaborating with faculty in activities inside and outside the classroom. Participants will realize that to maximize the impact on student success for minority males; it is imperative that student affairs departments closely link their efforts with the institutional mission and strategic plan to ensure that the outcome of graduation is achievable.
- Define learning communities and their variations
- Create more sustained intellectual interaction among students and their teachers
- Describe effective institutional practices based on recent research for using shared learning communities
- Understand the role of the professor, student, staff, and administrator in a successful learning community
Who Should Attend?
- Academic Affairs/Instruction
- Advising/Career Services/Counselors
- Deans/Department Chairs/Developmental Educators
- Enrollment Management/Faculty (full and part-time)
- First-Year Experience Coordinators/Learning Resource Centers/Tutors
- Retention Specialist/Student Affairs
- Two and Four Year Higher Educational Institutions